Porsches at Scampton

Office: +44 (0)1472 399381
e-mails:
Webmaster

2015 'PORSCHES O'ER T'WOLDS

Porsche Club of Great Britain: Region 4 and the 912 Register annual tour of Lincolnshire and its Wolds.

Sponsors

Gantspeed Engineering

 

Gantspeed Engineering of Mareham le Fen is the major sponsor for Region 4's activities and has supported the region for a number of years.  It's proprietor, Robert Gant, a former rally competitor, has supported the various tours organized by Region 4 since 2009.

Gantspeed Engineering, founded in 1975, has a depth of knowledge of all Porsches from the 356 to current models and carries out:

  • Restorations
  • Project work
  • Competition work, especially 356s (an example of which was the preparation of the Beijing to Paris Rally 356) and early 911s.
  • All work is carried out at Gantspeed's purpose built facilities in Mareham le Fen, Lincolnshire

    University of Lincoln

     

    For the start of the tour in 2014 we have been granted kind permission to use the beautiful grounds of Riseholme Hall by the University of Lincoln. We shall park all of the cars in front of the Hall facing the lake, with the tour being in July the sun will shine which will provide an opportunity for you all to get some great photos.

    The Hall will house the pre start briefing where refreshments will be available.

    A little bit of history about the starting point.

    The Riseholme estate was purchased in 1721 by the Chaplin family, who in the middle of the 18th century built the present Riseholme Hall. In 1840 the estate was sold to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, to become the Palace for the Bishop of Lincoln. They commissioned William Railton, the architect of Nelson's Column, London, to remodel the Hall for John Kaye, the first Bishop to live there.

    In 1850 Bishop Kaye commissioned the architect S S Teulon (1812-73) to build a new church beside the Hall. In 1887 however Bishop Edward King moved to the Old Palace in Lincoln next to the Cathedral and the Riseholme estate was sold. In 1890 it passed to Captain Thomas Wilson whose son sold the estate to the County Council in 1945. Initially the property was used for training ex-servicemen and was run by the County War Agricultural Executive Committee. In 1949 the Ministry returned the estate to the County Council. New buildings have been added to the site since the 1960s, and in 1994 it became part of De Montfort University, and later the University of Lincoln. The site remains in use as Riseholme College which specialises in Agriculture, Horticulture, Animal and Equine training and education.

    Copyright © mmxiv rafiki-resources (www.brookenby.org.uk). All Rights Reserved.

    This page last updated:   Wednesday, 23 July 2014